#24


Tonight I went to the 'The Story Behind the Fabric" talk held in Shoreditch Design Rooms. The talk was more relevant to the practical side of my work for this module rather than any historical context or specific imbalances.

Led by Emma Mawston, interiors fabric designer at Liberty, over the evening the predominant discussion was about how to transform hand drawn pictures into pattern but how to make that pattern still tell its own story. I thought that this was particularly relevant to the ways in which I am intending to work within this module. Emma's designs, despite being handdrawn/painted are actually printed digitally, making them more relevant to the module being of Contemporary Technologies. Although I don't wish to work with fabric, the principles of the pattern design are pretty much the same.

It was fascinating to hear the stories behind Emma's own designs and meeting her in person was so much more valuable than just reading information about how she works. At the end of the evening there was the opportunity to have a one to one chat with her and also look and feel her new pattern designs for furniture. I think that overall the evening will be massively influential on the way I generate patterns for packaging and how I go about using colour (something I need to further research.)

No comments:

Post a Comment